Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Elephant That Pounds On The Photocopier

Matthew was thrilled when his trainee told him that there was noise coming out from the photocopier. And it sounded like an elephant thumping on it.

Matthew nodded and laughed. He knew that was a stupid thing that only morons of certain age would believe, that kind of age when you assume you are gay because you think there is always a chance to become straight later on in life.

‘Very well, it’s about time it does that’ he sarcastically chuckled.

The trainee cautiously put down the coffee on his desk. Matthew looked up to his trainee. ‘How old are you?’

‘Twenty four’ the trainee said.

He grinned. ‘I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young.’

The trainee went red in the face.

‘You know, chances like promotion doesn’t come very often’ Matthew tilted his chair.

The trainee nodded and he looked worried.

‘I was once at your age, you know.’ Matthew kept tilting his chair. ‘I know what people of your age think’. He bit his lips as he continued tilting his chair. ‘I thought I wanted a career when I was at your age, but it turned out…’ He chuckled again.

‘I think… we should do something…with the photocopier’ the trainee tried to alarm his superior. ‘It sounds like an elephant thumping on it’

‘Interesting, what are you going to do about it?’ Matthew finished titling his chair and his zipper was left open. The trainee was lost in thought.

‘Ahhhhhhhh !’ The trainee dashed out of the office screaming.

Matthew shuddered as he took a sip on his coffee.

‘Looks like the screw-up fairy has visited us again’ it sighed.

‘I’ll try being nicer next time’ said Matthew. ‘Do you want me to call Derek?’

‘Who?’ it asked.

‘Derek, the guy who fixes the photocopiers’ said Matthew as he tried to zip up his pants.

‘How about never? Is never good for you?’ it went back in with anger.

Matthew didn’t want to mess up with it anymore. He didn’t call Derek, and so the mysterious elephant continued to pound on the photocopier.

No comments: