Tuesday, September 08, 2009

It Is What It Is (Part III)

I took my laptop and ran out of my apartment. I stood in front of the pavement. I looked up to my little apartment on the second floor. Thinking the time spent in this little apartment. How I brought the furniture over with a borrowed vehicle. How my wife cried when she found out the water from the heater wasn't hot enough. How we finally managed to settle down with her getting a job. How we could afford to put better food on the table while watching TV together. How sad that you only think about the beginnings when things come to the end.

Time went past. The gruesome noise did not seem to wake anybody up from the building. It occurred to me that I should probably get the attention from my neighbor below. Before he is crushed to death with my living room on top of him. But I wasn't completely sure if my apartment was going to collapse. So I decided to have another look on the floor.

I went back in. The bang bang have seemed to quiet down. I could still hear the cracks when I stepped on the tiles. The whole carpet have popped up. I lifted the table carefully. And I rolled the carpet over. It looked like a giant tumor coming out from the floor. And there were cracks all over it. I did not know how long will my living room stayed where it was. So I made calls to the 24 hour Emergency Management Service.

"A giant tumor came out from the floor?" said the operator. "Yes" I replied. "I'm sorry, but we do not cover your area. Can you try 1800-560-6060" The operator hung up.

"A what?" asked the other operator. "Giant tumor" I said. "Where are you calling from again? I don't think its under our area. Try the other town council." said the operator. "Is there by any chance that you know where ..." "No" the operator hung up.

I sat on the staircase outside the door. Wondering if I should call the Property Manager. To tell him a giant tumor has just popped up from the floor. It would probably sound too insane for any Property Manager to manage that 3am in the morning. So I waited. Until 4am. I called my Property Manager.

No comments: