Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Runner (Part Three)

‘Uh huh’ she said and sank even lower into the chair.
‘I didn’t think you would be wearing glasses’ he let his eyes concentrate on her face in the picture. ‘And I can’t tell if you have one of those brown eyes that I thought you might have’
‘The glasses are props’ she said. ‘Because none of us were wearing glasses and the guy thought it would be nice if one of us can put on the glasses he brought over, you know, to even things up, maybe?’
‘Huh?’ he placed his pinky at the girl’s face, trying to imagine how she would look like without the glasses. But it was bound to cover her face no matter what angle he placed his pinky at.
‘Hello?’ she said.
‘Yah’ he pulled out his pinky from her face.
‘You all right?’ keeping her voice down.
‘Yah…yah…’ he put down the brochure.
‘If you wish to talk to my colleague’ she turned to her colleague. ‘I can hook you once she’s done with her call’
‘Why would I want to talk to her?’ he reached out to the pack.
‘I don’t know’ she said. ‘Because I am not terribly pretty’
‘Uh huh’ he lit the cigarette. ‘Most people don’t get the face that could fit their voice’
‘You think so?’ she let her breath out.
‘Uh huh’ he crossed his legs and exhaled. ‘If you look at Dolly Bartholomew, or Tracy Carver, or you know, The Bananas in Pajamas…they don’t sound like how they look’
‘Uh huh’ she looked at her colleague reading the bible to her caller. ‘I am not crazy about being pretty and all that. But then I might have, I don’t know. What about you?’
‘Me?’ he exhaled. ‘No, no…Sorry what were you saying?’
‘Are you crazy about the whole external beauty thing?’ she repeated.
‘Oh…right’ he took another drag. ‘No, no…not really…but erm…you know…erm…I still feel bad if I cut myself when I shave…or you know…if I pissed on my pants…things like that’
‘What?’ she made a laugh. ‘Do you still piss on your pants?’
‘Huh?’ he tried to hear what she has just said. ‘What?’
‘Do you still piss on your pants?’ she giggled.
‘Yah’ he said. ‘Isn’t that common?’
‘Is that common?’ she tilted herself back to the normal sitting position. ‘Do guys piss on themselves on the time?’

No comments: