Thursday, December 01, 2005

What Daren Said When He Was Trying To Seduce Me

Daren is the kind of guy who doesn’t look like who he actually is. Perhaps that is because of his unpleasant childhood. He does not like to talk about himself. But he did one time talk about his unpleasant childhood. I think that was the time when he wanted to seduce me.

I don’t really want to go the seducing part, because I am not kind of writer who writes for the sake of getting your attention. If I were that kind of writer I would have told you what kind of hairstyle Daren has, or what kind of car he drives, or what sort of shampoo he uses, or whether he goes to gym after work. But I didn’t, and that explains how I am not that phony kind of writer.

Having said that however, being a highly successful writer, I am inclined to tell you how he did it, why he did it, and did it work?

It happened two weeks ago. He picked me up to a dinner with his red Alfa Romeo with this really really short hair, and you can still smell the scent of the shampoo left in his hair. It smells like those shampoos they give you at the gym, which really makes sense because Daren is the kind of guy who goes to gym after work.

And what happened was, on the way home after the dinner, I wanted him to give me some suggestion on what kind of shampoo that really suits my hair. The next thing I became aware of is that there is something ‘touching’ in the suggestion. I couldn’t help but to bring out a certain issue that could stop being ‘touched’ by his suggestion. And one of the things that I happened to bring up was his childhood. Daren did not take an interest at first. But maybe he became conscious of how insisting I was and believed that that was all I wanted to know, and so he talked about his unpleasant childhood.

Daren’s childhood belongs to the category in which loneliness is the dominant theme. It is like watching a bird died when one is infected with bird flu. Like one time, he actually choked on the soda he drank when he could have chose to have a cup of coffee. Daren’s childhood was so sad that it has the power to invite its listener to share its sadness.

The side effect of coming so close with Daren’s unpleasant childhood is that we started to understand that it was only eleven at night. The rest of it felt like marinating yourself in a pool of shampoo.

No comments: